Monday, July 9, 2012

3M Co (MMM) dividend analysis

From the above analysis,
1) MMM financial performance is very healthy.
2) Current market price is slightly higher.  I would say $85~$86 is a reasonable entry price.
3) Payout ratio is nicely positioned at less than 40% of earnings and FCF.
4) Yield rate is 2.70%, lower than my criterion at 3%.
5) 5-year dividend growth is 4.6%; 10-year dividend growth is 5.99%.  So the dividend growth trend is slower in recent years. I would say 5.5% dividend growth is more reasonable to expect in the coming years.


From above two charts, without considering dividend reinvestment, in 10-year's time frame, yield on cost will be 3.83% based on dividend growth rate 5.99%.  While the 10-year yield on cost will be 3.35% based on dividend growth rate 4.6%.

With this stock, I can't achieve my goal of 10% yield on cost within 10 years time frame. However, if the price is cooled down, I may purchase some shares to diversify my portfolio. My entry point will be in the range of $81-$85.  At purchasing price at $81, the dividend payment could be doubled in 10 years.

Disclosure: None.  Will purchase some qty at the price range of $81-$85.

No comments:

Post a Comment